Mary Alice Snetsinger is a conservation biologist now working in Kingston.
Mary Alice Snetsinger may have more articles on our old site. Click here to visit our old site.
Burnt Island saw two women appointed as lightkeepers, including the first woman officially recognized as a lightkeeper anywhere in the Thousand Islands. . . .
William (Bill) Johnston has a storied history in the Thousand Islands, and it is sometimes difficult to separate the man from the legend – or from the mythologized “pirate” celebrated at the annual Alexandria Bay “Bill Johnston Pirate Days” festival.
Rock Island is most likely the most famous light station on the River. Read all about it!
Crossover Island is located a bare 1/5th of a mile south of the border, close to the point where the shipping channel crosses the international boundary. The lighthouse was needed to safely guide ships through the cluster of shoals and islands . . .
Marking the largely submerged rock formation known as Bush Island, Sunken Rock is a little workhorse of a lighthouse built in 1847, and still in service today.
Spectacle Shoal and Red Horse Rock were among nine lighthouses established in 1856 when the government decided that lighting the Canadian Thousand Islands was a priority.
The history of Sisters Lighthouse on Sister Island located 6 1/2 miles from Alexandria Bay and just south of the International border. Construction began in 1870.